Lo-Call 1890 800 222
At Acorn Insurance the privacy and data protection rights of our customers is very important to us.
Data Protection is the safeguarding of the privacy rights of individuals in relation to the processing of personal data, in both paper and electronic format. The Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003 (the "Data Protection Acts") lay down strict rules about the way in which personal data and sensitive personal data are collected, accessed, used and disclosed. The Data Protection Acts also permit individuals to access their personal data on request, and confer on individuals the right to have their personal data amended if found to be incorrect.
This document outlines the Acorn Insurance policy to help ensure that we comply with the Data Protection Acts.
Enquiries about this Data Protection Policy should be made to Data Protection Officer, Acorn Insurance, NZI Plaza, St Augustine Street, Galway, Ireland or to email@example.com
Data Protection Policy
Collecting information about you.
We collect and use information to provide the following:
- provision of general insurance products
- provision of renewal services in respect of general insurance products
- provision of administration of general insurance products, its associated companies and agents, by customers' intermediaries
- to undertake advertising, marketing, direct marketing and public relation exercises
- to perform accounting and other record-keeping functions
- to undertake research and statistical analysis in relation to products offered and customers serviced
- to help detect and prevent crime
- disclosure to regulatory bodies for the purposes of monitoring and/or enforcing Acorn Insurance's compliance with any regulatory rules/codes
- to keep customers' information secure
- to enhance or improve our customers' experience of our website
Data Protection Principles
We shall perform our responsibilities under the Data Protection Acts in accordance with the following eight Data Protection principles:
1. Obtain and process information fairly
We shall obtain and process personal data fairly and in accordance with statutory and other legal obligations.
2. Keep it only for one or more specified, explicit and lawful purposes
We shall keep personal data for purposes that are specific, lawful and clearly stated. Personal data will only be processed in a manner compatible with these purposes.
3. Use and disclose only in ways compatible with these purposes
We shall use and disclose personal data only in circumstances that are necessary for the purposes for which we collected the data.
4. Keep it safe and secure
We shall take appropriate security measures against unauthorised access to, or alteration, disclosure or destruction of personal data and against its accidental loss or destruction.
5. Keep it accurate, complete and up-to-date
We adopt procedures that ensure high levels of data accuracy, completeness and that personal data is up-to-date.
6. Ensure it is adequate, relevant and not excessive
We shall only hold personal data to the extent that it is adequate, relevant and not excessive.
7. Retain for no longer than is necessary
We have a retention policy for personal data.
8. Give a copy of his/ her personal data to that individual, on request
We adopt procedures to ensure that data subjects can exercise their rights under the Data Protection legislation to access their data.
Overall responsibility for ensuring compliance with Data Protection Acts rests with Acorn Insurance. However our responsibility varies depending upon whether we are acting as either a Data Controller or a Data Processor.
All employees, agents and contractors of Acorn Insurance who separately collect, control or process the content and use of personal data are individually responsible for compliance with the Data Protection Acts. The Data Protection Officer co-ordinates the provision of support, assistance, advice and training throughout Acorn Insurance to ensure that Acorn Insurance, its agents and contractors are in a position to comply with the legislation.
Procedures and Guidelines
Acorn Insurance is firmly committed to ensuring personal privacy and compliance with the Data Protection Acts, including the provision of best practice guidelines and procedures in relation to all aspects of Data Protection.
This Data Protection Policy is supplemented (and may be amended) by specific policies and procedures adopted by Acorn Insurance.
Please refer to our Privacy Statement, 'Right of Access' section for procedures and guidelines on accessing your personal data.
This Data Protection Policy will be reviewed regularly in light of any legislative or other relevant developments.